Friday, December 28, 2007

To host or not to host?


I remember when I first found out about hospitality social networking. I thought to myself who would let a complete stranger into their home? People are crazy, the world is a mess, what about the children for God's sakes will someone please think of the children.
Once I got past the initial impact I realized the obvious truth. How well do we really know the people we know? Isn't that reason enough to go out and meet new people from different cultures?
Hospitality social networking isn't just about hosting people at your home or being hosted. Its about gatherings, learning, exploring and breaking barriers for adventurers. Remember the times when you explored and how exciting it felt to discover new and exciting things. Hospitality social networking allows us to learn, understand and teach others about life. Yes, just life.
Small groups gather in public places and share a meal and pleasant conversations. Mostly cultural stuff, cooking tips, travel experiences and other pleasantries. After a few gatherings you will quickly realize that it is a great way to meet and connect with people from all over the world.
My first adventure was in San Francisco at a "Hail to the primos" gathering for a surfer who was returning to Berlin. It was a couchsurfing experience. I had a great time and instantly knew this was what I would enjoy doing. Since then I have been to several gatherings, bbqs, walks in the park, concerts and other events where you can go, meet the locals, enjoy a good conversation and learn.
I have met hundreds of people from all over the world and learned first hand about all of the things I wanted to know about where they are from and even some stuff I would never of thought to ask.
I did venture out a little further and hosted a person from India who is studying in the States and we had a great time. We cooked, had some drinks talked about our cultures and even plan to do it again when he finishes his studies in the spring. We keep in touch via email and he has sent me pictures from his other adventures.
I also hosted a girl from Singapore. She is a student in San Francisco. She spent a few days over and we talked, cooked, exchanged ideas and I look forward to maybe some day seeing her in her home town.

So really, to host or not to host is your decision. Choose wisely and make the most out of life by learning, tasting and meeting a little part of the world you may never get to.

I look forward to meeting you and until then, be safe, share and travel smart!

clubcouch

No comments: